Students of Michael D. Larsen
- Jennifer C. Huckett, Synthetic data methods for
disclosure limitation, (Iowa State, 2008), Battelle (2008-2013).
U.S. Census Bureau Dissertation Fellowship. 2007- 2008.
- Minhui Paik, Fractional Imputation, (Iowa State, summer 2009),
Employment: Department of Mathematics, U Toledo (2009-present).
- Lu Lu, Variance estimation and model selection in complex
surveys (Iowa State, spring 2009), LANL, post doc (2009-2011).
Visiting Assistant Professor, University of Southern Florida,
2011-2013. IMS Laha student travel award 2007.
- Cherie J. Kientoff (Alf), Development of weighted model fit
indexes for structural equation models using multiple imputation,
(Iowa State, 2011). Employment: Nielsen (2011-present).
ASA SRMS student travel award 2008.
- Wanjie Sun, Methods for a Longitudinal Quantitative
Outcome With a Multivariate Gaussian Mixture Distribution
Multi-dimensionally Censored by Therapeutic Intervention
(GWU, 2012 w/ J. Lachin). Employment: FDA, 2013-present.
- Siyu Qing, Statistics (GWU, 2011- 2014),
"Longitudinal Weight Calibration with Estimated Control Totals
for Cross Sectional Survey Data: Theory and
Application". ASA SRMS student travel award 2013.
Employment: Ernst and Young, 2014-present.
- Junchi Guo, Statistics (GWU, 2012- ). "Social Network Analysis"
Anticiaped 2016. Internship at Sprint Analytics
(2013). Proposal passed 2014.
- Brian Dumbacher, Statistics (GWU, 2013- ). "Small area estimation
in a survey of governments". U.S. Census
Bureau. Anticipated 2016. Proposal passed 2014.
- Yuan Li, Statistics (GWU, 2013 -). "Improved estimationn and
evaluation of rotation schemes in the Current Population
Survey". Anticipated 2016. Proposal to be presented in
- 2009 - 2015 May: 10 PhD committees at GWU.
- 2003-2009: 20 PhD committees at Iowa State
- 2003-2009: 24 MS committees at Iowa State
Master's Degree Students
- Marcela Alfaro, MS Statistics, ISU, summer 2009.
``Comparison of Prior Distributions in Hierarchical Models.''
- Kyle Hewitt, MS Statistics, ISU, spring 2009.
``Calibration Estimation applied to Iowa School Survey Data''
- Kari Kraemer, MS Statistics, ISU,
``The Effect of Technology on Student Achievement in Iowa Public
- Katy Campbell, MS Statistics, ISU,
summer 2007. ``A comparison of survey mode on response rates and
responses in a work-habit study of ISU students.''
Employed by Nielsen Media Consulting, Connectiv.
- Jun Liu, MS Statistics, ISU,
summer 2007. ``Discrimination on record of police activity to
distinguish different types of behavior: A study of a discrimination
and clustering procedure.'' PhD physics.
- Jianhua Zhu, MS Statistics, ISU,
spring 2006. ``Evaluating the income effect of a contract farming
program: Evidence from China.''
Employed in Kansas City. PhD Economics.
- Lu Lu, MS Statistics, ISU,
fall 2005. ``Variance estimation in a survey for the School Board of
the State of Iowa.'' PhD statistics at ISU. Postdoc at LANL.
Ding Ding Lu, MS Statistics, ISU, anticipated
%fall 2005 (PhD Computer Science). ``Modeling of mutual fund
%returns.'' PHD CS at ISU.
- Paul Buzinec, MS Statistics, ISU,
summer 2005. ``The three-card method with generalizations for
sensitive survey topics.''
Employment as a Research Analyst position at Ingenix, a subsidiary of
UnitedHealth Group, Minnesota.
- Liza Nirelli, MS Statistics, ISU,
summer 2005. ``Comparison of methods for handling missing data in a
collegiate survey of tobacco use.'' SAS: teaching consultant (2005-).
Lead Statistician, U. of Idaho Social Science Research Unit
- Ian Asplund, MS Statistics, ISU,
spring 2005. ``Regression models for predicting rainfall soil
erosion.'' Employment with insurance company EMC in Des Moines, Iowa.
- Juan Liu, MS Statistics, ISU,
fall 2004. ``Factors affecting clustering of
multivariate binary data.''
Employment at Pioneer Hi-bred International, Inc.
- Meilin Qian Song, MS Statistics, The
University of Chicago, summer 2003.
``Estimation of causal effects via propensity score methods.''
Employed at Johns Hopkins University.
- Enrique Basurto, MS Statistics, The
University of Chicago, summer 2003.
``Applied multivariate methods: Principal components and factor
analysis.'' Employed in Mexico.
- Hyo Duk Shin, MS Statistics, The
University of Chicago, winter 2003.
``Comparison of hierarchical Bayesian models for estimating prevalence
and test accuracy in the absence of a gold standard.''
Attending PhD program at Stanford University.
- Jeniffer Iriondo-Perez, MS Statistics, The
University of Chicago, winter 2003. ``Small area estimation of
proportions.'' Employment at Pioneer Hi-bred International, Inc.
- Byung Cho Kim, MS Statistics, The University of Chicago,
spring 2002. ``A Bayesian errors-in-variables regression model via
Gibbs sampling.'' Beginning fall 2002 attending Carnegie Mellon for
PhD in Management Information Science.
- Ding Cai Cao, MS Statistics, The University of Chicago,
winter 2002. ``Models for paired comparison and ranking data with stimulus and
observer covariates.'' Simultaneously completing a PhD in Psychology
at The University of Chicago.
- Jong Chool Park, MS Statistics, The University of Chicago,
summer 2001. ``Bayesian analysis of mixtures applied to maternal smoking and
gestation.'' PhD Accounting, Tepper School of Business, Carnegie
Mellon University, 2006, faculty member at RPI.