Sigma Xi Chapter at GWU
Welcome to Sigma Xi Chapter at GW!
The mission of Sigma Xi, The Scientific Research Society, is "To enhance the health of the research enterprise, foster integrity in science and engineering, and promote the public's understanding of science for the purpose of improving the human condition."
The Chapter at GWU aims to:
- Hold social events for members of the GW community involved in the research enterprise,
- Sponsor seminars and other public events to promote the public's understanding of science for the purpose of improving the human condition,
- Recruit new members to Sigma Xi and the GW chapter, and
- Support research of graduate students and junior faculty through small research grants.
Leadership of GWU Chapter
Past presidents include:
- Michael D. Larsen, Department of Statistics, 2012-2014
- Chris Cahill, Department of Chemistry, until about 2008
Technically Dr. Larsen continues as president and will help individuals become members of Sigma Xi through the GWU Chapter. If you are interested in reinvigorating that GWU Chapter, please email Sigma Xi or Dr. Larsen.
Grants in Aid of Research (GIAR) from the GWU Chapter
- Awards were made to four GWU students in 2014.
- Awards were made to four GWU students in 2013.
- Sigma Xi Grants-in-Aid of Research Program, GIAR, has been providing undergraduate and graduate students with valuable educational experiences for more than 80 years.Deadlines October 15 and March 15
Social EventsThe GWU Chapter held various social events during 2012-2014.
SeminarsThe GWU Chapter did not sponsor any seminars, but provided links to talks in the geogrphical region.
MembershipMembership in Sigma Xi is by nomination and individuals can request nomination through the Sigma Xi GWU Chapter. Here is the link to procedure and forms. Three points:
- Complete the word form or PDF form for nomination through a local chapter (Through a local Sigma Xi CHAPTER on the Sigma Xi page). Provide a CV (5 pages maximum) and/or letter to accompany the form. Email it to the GWU Chapter president.
- If the form is submitted with one nominator, the chapter will provide a second nominator. If no nominators are provided, the chapter will provide both a first and second nominator. The chapter will contact the nominee if additional information is needed.
- Sigma Xi homepage: http://www.sigmaxi.org
- American Scientist is published by Sigma Xi: link
- SmartBriefs from Sigma Xi: link