Michael D. Larsen, Research
- My interests include survey sampling, missing data, record linkage and administrative records, disclosure limitation and confidentiality, Bayesian statistics, hierarchical/multilevel modeling, mixture models and clustering, statistical modeling of complex data, and statistics education.
- A number of the topics of interest to me are connected invarous ways to BIG DATA and DATA SCIENCE.
- I am inerested in theory and methods as well as applications of statistics.
- I work independently, with students, with collaborators in Statistics and in other fields, and on a consulting basis.
- I have had successful interations in academia, government, and industry.
- Although I have not testified in a trial, I have prepared affidavits, sampling plans, and data analyses, and participated in other ways as an expert witness in statistical legal matters.
Outline of Research Page
- Statistical Theory and Methods
- Collaborative Applications
- Statistical Education and Literacy
- Book Reviews
- Mathematical Reviews
- Study Publications
- Miscellaneous Writing
- Other Writings: Proceedings, Reports and White Papers
Statistical Theory and Methods
- Lachin, J.M., Bebu, I., Larsen, M.D., and Younes, N. (2018). Extension of the Closed Testing Principle. Biometrics. Submitted.
- Sun, W., Larsen, M.D., and Lachin, J.M. (2014). Methods for a Longitudinal Quantitative Outcome With a Multivariate Gaussian Distribution Multi-dimensionally Censored by Therapeutic Intervention. Statistics in Medicine. 33(8): 1288-1306.
- Paik, M., and Larsen, M.D. (2014). Handling nonignorable nonresponse with respondent modeling and the SIR algorithm. Journal Statistical Planning and Inference. 145: 179-189.
- Paik, M., and Larsen, M.D. (2013). Weight Adjustments For Fractional Regression Hot Deck Imputation. Communications in Statistics - Simulation and Computing. 42(7): 1514-1532.
- Kang, S.S., and Larsen, M.D. (2012). Tests of independence in incomplete multi-way tables using likelihood functions. Journal of the Korean Statistical Society, 41: 189-198.
- Larsen, M.D., and Huckett, J. (2012). Multimethod Synthetic Data Generation for Confientiality and Measurement of Disclosure Risk. International Journal of Information Privacy, Security and Integrity. 1(2/3): 184-204.
- Kang, S.S., Koehler, K.J., and Larsen, M.D. (2012). Fractional Imputation for Incomplete Two-Way Contingency Tables. Metrika. 75(5): 581-599.
- Kang, S.S., and Larsen, M.D. (2011). Tests of Independence with Incomplete Contingency Tables using Likelihood Functions. Journal of Data Science. 9(4): 487-500.
- Larsen, M.D. (2011). Discussion of \Calibrated Bayes" by R.J.A. Little. Statistical Science, 26(2): 175-178.
- Larsen, M.D., and Huckett, J. (2010). Measuring Disclosure Risk for Multimethod Synthetic Data Generation. IEEE International Conference on Privacy, Security, Risk and Trust. 808-815. [13% acceptance rate]
- Barnes, S.A., Larsen, M.D., Schroeder, D.R., Hanson, A., and Decker, P.A. (2010). Missing data assumptions and methods in a smoking cessation study. Addiction, 105, 3, 431-437.
- Lavelle, B., Larsen, M.D., and Gundersen, C. (2009). RESEARCH SYNTHESIS: Research strategies for surveys of American Indians. Public Opinion Quarterly. 73: 385-403.
- Larsen, M.D. (2008). Discussion of "Modeling and Predicting Probabilities with Outlooks": Prior information as prior observations and a mixture model. Statistica Sinica, 18, n1, 69-75.
- Larsen, M.D., and Lu, L. (2007). Comment on "Bayesian Checking of the Second Level of Hierarchical Models" by Bayarri and Castellanos: Cross-validated Posterior Predictive Checks Using Discrepancy Measures. Statistical Science, 22, n3, 359-362.
- Larsen, M.D. (2006). Ideas for Secure Record Linkage. Privacy in Statistical Databases 2006. [CDROM]. CENEX-SDC Conference. Rome, Italy.
- Lahiri, P., and Larsen, M.D. (2005). Regression analysis with linked data. Journal of the American Statistical Association, 100, 222-230.
- Larsen, M.D., and Liu, J. (2005). Factors affecting clustering of 0-1 data. Classification and Data Analysis 2005, editors S. Zani and A. Cerioli, Fifth Scientific Meeting of the Classification and Data Analysis Group of the Italian Statistical Society, 401-404.
- Larsen, M.D. (2005). Latent class analysis of 1997 NSF SESTAT survey data on science PhDs. Calcutta Statistical Association Bulletin, 56, 189-208.
- Larsen, M.D. (2004). Record linkage using finite mixture models. Applied Bayesian Modeling and Causal Inference from Incomplete-Data Perspectives, A. Gelman and X-L. Meng, editors. 309-318.
- Larsen, M.D. (2003). Estimation of small-area proportions using covariates and survey data. Journal of Statistical Planning and Inference, 112 (1-2), 89 - 98.
- Larsen, M.D. (2002). Impact of latent class clustering of NSF doctoral survey data on adjusted Rand index values. Statistics in Transition, 5 (5), 843-856.
- Larsen, M.D., and Rubin, D.B. (2001). Iterative automated record linkage using mixture models. Journal of the American Statistical Association, 96, 32-41.
- Chattopadhyay, M., Lahiri, P., Larsen, M.D., and Reimnitz, J. (1999). Composite estimation of drug prevalences for sub-state areas. Survey Methodology, 25, 81-86.
- Larsen, M.D. (1999). Analysis of a survey on smoking using propensity scores. Sankhya B, Special Issue on Survey Sampling, 61, 91-105.
- Hsieh, F.Y., Bloch, D.A., and Larsen, M.D. (1998). A simple method for sample size calculation for linear and logistic regression. Statistics in Medicine, 17, 1623-1634.
- Reichert, C., Cervato, C., Niederhauser, D., and Larsen, M.D. (2015). Understanding Atmospheric Carbon Budgets: Teaching Students Conservation of Mass. Journal of Geoscience Education, 63: 222-232.
- Mahshie, J., Core, C., and Larsen, M.D. (2015). Perception-Production of speech contrasts by deaf children with cochlear implants.Ear and Hearing. 36(6): 653-663.
- Larsen, C.D., Larsen, M.D., Ambrose, T., Degano, R., Gallo, L., Cardo, V.A., Jr. (2016). Efficacy of a Pre-natal Oral Health Program: Follow-up with Mothers and their Children. New York State Dental Journal, 82(3): 15-20.
- Core, C., Larsen, M.D., Wilson, J., and Mashie, J. (2014). Assessing speech perception in young children with cochlear implants using a hybrid visual habituation paradigm and a Bayesian linear model. Ear and Hearing, 35(5): 555-564.
- Larsen, C.D., Larsen, M.D., Kim, M., Yang, E., and Cunningham, R. (2014). Efficacy of Dental Treatment of School Children during Dental Outreach in Jamaica. New York State Dental Journal. August/September, 40-45.
- Bianchi, S., Stimpson, C.D., Duka, T., Larsen, M.D., Janssen, W.G., Collins, Z., Bauernfeind, A.L., Schapiro, S.J., Baze, W.B., McArthur, M.J., Hopkins, W.D., Wildman, D.E., Lipovich, L., Kuzawa, C.W., Jacobs, B., Hof, P.R., and Sherwood, C.C. (2013). Synaptogenesis and development of pyramidal neuron dendritic morphology in the chimpanzee neocortex. PNAS. 2013 Jun 18;110 Suppl 2:10395-401.
- Reichert, C., Cervato, C., Larsen, M., Niederhauser, D. (2014). Conceptions of atmospheric carbon budgets: Undergraduate Students' Perceptions of Mass Balance. Journal of Geoscience Education. 62(3): 460-468.
- Larsen, C.D., Larsen, M.K., Larsen, M.D., Im, C., Moursi, A.M., and Nonken, M. (2012). Impact of an interdisciplinary concert series on stress and work-life balance in a Dental College. Music and Medicine. 4(3): 177-187.
- Vogel, E.R., Knott, C.D., Crowley, B.E., Blakely, M.D., Dominy, N.J., and Larsen, M.D. (2012). Bornean orangutans at the brink of protein bankruptcy. Biology Letters. 8(3): 333-336.
- Vogel, E.R., Crowley, B.E., Knott, C.D., Blakely, M.D., Larsen, M.D., and Dominy, N.J. (2012). A Non-invasive Method for Quantifying Nitrogen Balance in Free-Ranging Primates. International Journal of Primatology. 33(3): 567-587.
- C. Cervato, W. A. Gallus, Jr., P. Boysen, and M. Larsen. (2011). Dynamic Weather Forecaster: results of the testing of a collaborative, on-line educational platform for weather forecasting. Earth Science Informatics, 4(4): 181-189.
- Wich, S., Vogel, E.R., Larsen, M.D., Marshall, A.J., Fredricksson, G., Leighton, M., Yeager, C.P., Brearly, F.Q., and van Schaik, C.P. (2011). A Comparison of Forest Fruit Production between Sumatra and Borneo. PLOS ONE. 6(6): e21278.
- Parham, T.L., Cinzia, C., Gallus, W., Larsen, M., Hobbs, J., and Greenbowe, T. (2011). Does Students' Source of Knowledge Affect Their Understanding of Volcanic Systems? Journal of College Science Teaching, 4(1): 14-19.
- Parham, T.L., Jr., Cervato, C., Gallus, W.A., Jr., Larsen, M.D., Stelling, P., Hobbs, J., Greenbowe, T., Gupta, T., Knox, J.A., and Gill, T.E. (2010). The InVEST Volcanic Concept Survey: Exploring Student Understanding About Volcanoes. Journal of Geoscience Education. 58, 213-223.
- C. Cervato, W. Gallus, P. Boysen, and M. Larsen. (2009). Today's forecast: higher thinking with a chance of conceptual growth - A dynamic, web-based weather forecasting exercise. Eos. 90(20): 175-176.
- Larsen, C.D., Larsen, M.D., Handwerker, L., Kim, M.S., and Rosenthal, M. (2009). A comparison of school-based and community-based dental clinics. Journal of School Health. 79 (3): 116-122.
- Guy, B., Sitlington, P.L., Larsen, M.D., and Frank, A.R. (2009). Preparation for Employment: What Are High Schools Offering? Career Development for Exceptional Individuals. 32(1): 30-41.
- Fletcher, C. N., C. Gundersen, M. Larsen, S. Nusser (2008), 'Consumer views on the biofuel industry: does proximity matter?', Consumer Interests Annual, 54, 185-186.
- Harding, C., Cervato C., Larsen, M.D., Windom, K.E., Dawson, J. (2008) Exploring the use of 3-D computer graphics for teaching relative geologic time concepts in large introductory geology classes. Teaching Earth Sciences (UK), Vol. 33, Issue 2, pp 19-22.
- Larsen, C.D., Stavisky, E., Larsen, M.D., and Rosenbaum, M. (2007). Children's Fingernail hygiene and length as predictors of carious teeth. The New York State Dental Journal, 73, 2, 33-37.
Statistical Education and LiteracySee the publications link on my teaching page.
- Larsen, M.D. (2008). Book review of Data Qualtiy and Record Linkage Techniques, by T.N. Herzog, F.J. Scheuren, and W.E. Winkler. Journal of Official Statistics, 24, 2, 327-330.
- Larsen, M.D. (2006). Book review of Panel and Longitudinal Data: Analysis and Applications in the Social Sciences, by E.W. Frees. Journal of the American Statistical Association, 101, 402.
- Larsen, M.D. (2004). Book review of Cross-Cultural Survey Methods, Wiley, by J.A. Harkness, F.J.R. van de Vijver, and P.Ph. Mohler. Journal of the American Statistical Association, 99, 907.
- Larsen, M.D. (2002). Book review of The Psychology of Survey Response, by R. Tourangeau, L.J. Rips, and K. Rasinski. Journal of the American Statistical Association, 97, 358-359.
Reviews for Mathematical ReviewsSearch for MR Number at http://www.ams.org/mathscinet: My MR Author ID Number is 710977.
- MR3145114, review published in 2014-07-14.
- MR3256058, review published in 2015-09-18.
- MR3261606, review published in 2015-09-17.
- MR3391696, review published in 2016-01-07.
- MR3426315, review published in 2016-04-26.
- MR3477741, review published in 2016-12-09.
- MR3552742, review submitted 2017.
- MR3625952, review submitted 2017.
Study Publications [Contribution Noted]
While at GW's Biostatistics Center, I contributed to several publications by serving on the publications and presentations committee and statisticians committees. I am not listed as an individual author, but was part of the research group. 2014-2017. For DPPOS publications official list, see https://dppos.bsc.gwu.edu/web/dppos/publications.
- Nathan DM, McGee P, Stees MW, Lachin JM, and the DCCT/EDIC Research Group. Relationship of glycated albumin to blood glucose and glycated hemoglobin (HbA1c) values and to retinopathy, nephropathy and cardiovascular outcomes in the DCCT/EDIC study. Diabetes 2014, 63(1):282-290. PMCID:3868040. [Contribution: statistician on project; methods for statistical analysis with missing blood glucose and other values.]
- Some publications in 2017 by the Diabetes Prevention Program Research Group (DPPRG). [Contribution: PI; Senior Statistician; Publication and Presentations Committee.]
- Some publications in 2016 by the Diabetes Prevention Program Research Group (DPPRG). [Contribution: PI; Senior Statistician; Publication and Presentations Committee.]
- Twelve publications in 2015 by the Diabetes Prevention Program Research Group (DPPRG). [Contribution: PI; Senior Statistician; Publication and Presentations Committee.]
- Nine publications in 2014 by the Diabetes Prevention Program Research Group (DPPRG). [Contribution: PI; Senior Statistician; Publication and Presentations Committee.]
- Judson, D.H., Parker, J., and Larsen, M.D. (2013). Adjusting sampling weights for linkage-eligibility using SUDAAN. National Center for Health Statistics, Hyattsville Maryland. May 2013. Official NCHS online document.
- National Research Council. (2011). Change and the 2020 Census: Not Whether But How. Panel to Review the 2010 Census (Member: Larsen). T.M. Cook, J.L. Norwood, and D.L. Cork, eds. Committee on National Statistics, Division of Behavioral and Social Sciences and Education. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press.
- Larsen, M.D. (1999). Identifying residents in administrative records that do not match the Census. Turning Administrative Systems Into Information Systems. Internal Revenue Service, Statistics of Income Publication 1299.
- Larsen, M.D. (1999). Predicting the residency status for administrative records that do not match census records. Administrative Records Research Memorandum Series, #20, Census Bureau, U.S. Department of Commerce.